Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Closet Confessions




We all have some skeletons in our closets, for some of us it happens to be our closets themselves. When you open the door do you feel like you should have a helmet on? Or maybe it has been so long since you have seen the floor you don't remember what it looked like... I must admit I have struggled with keeping a tidy closet over the years.  Something finally clicked for me one day, I had just returned from a trip to Chicago where I had bought some new clothes. And when I went to put them in my closet it just didn't feel right, they had come from such a beautiful store and here they were being cast into my less than glamourous closet.  So it hit me, the closet needs to look and feel more like the store, so we got to work.  After years of buying little "organizing products" that don't work I realized that their are basics to buying:

1: If its not strong it wont stay.
2: The way it looks is just as important as 
     how it works.
3: Spend more so you buy less often.

So when we went shopping for this extreme closet makeover the options were simply endless, starting at the overwhelming Ikea where I found this perfect piece for for folded clothing like jeans and t's :

It is amazing how much stronger this "book case" is than something manufactured for a closet. We also found these in expensive lights (12.99) that were a breeze to install. 


I was so surprised at how bright the white shelving and new lights made the closet look. White is the only color to do a closet in my opinion, because then your clothes take center stage. After it was all put back together again I felt like I was at Bloomingdale's every morning having a little shopping spree. So if your like me and you don't know where to start, take some inspiration from the pro's that put together your favorite stores.

No comments: